This week’s news from South Staffordshire Council.
- South Staffordshire Connect to return in January
The South Staffordshire Connect dial-a-ride bus service will be returning to the areas of greatest demand in the district from Tuesday 15 January 2019. This local, bookable bus service will once again help many people who struggle to get out and about and it is aimed at residents who live away from regular bus routes or who find it difficult to use a standard bus.
The new Connect service will operate between 10am and 3pm on the following basis:
- Locality 3 (Great Wyrley, Cheslyn Hay, Essington, Featherstone, Shareshill, Wedges Mills and Hilton) on Tuesdays and Fridays. This service will connect with Cannock Bus Station.
- Locality 4 (Codsall/Bilbrook/Perton/Pattingham) on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Locality 5 (Wombourne and the surrounding villages of Seisdon, Trysull, Lower Penn, Gospel End, Swindon and Himley) on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Further information about how to access the South Staffordshire Connect service will follow shortly.
- Be A Councillor
Would you like to represent your community, stand up for the interests of residents and make a difference? Becoming a Councillor requires commitment and hard work and no other role gives you the chance to make such a huge difference to the quality of life for people in your local area. Interested? Find out more at our ‘Be a Councillor’ sessions taking place in the New Year on Tuesday 8 January 2019. There will be two sessions from 1pm to 4pm and from 5pm to 8pm. During the sessions, you’ll find out what the Council does, what the role of a Councillor is and the important skills that Councillors need to have. Click here to find out more and to reserve a place at either of the sessions, please contact the Elections team.
Email: email@example.com or call: 01902 696231.
- #FestiveBinMen 2018
Thank you to everyone who has viewed or shared our #FestiveBinMen video. It’s had a great response and there have been over 15,000 views and 172 shares on Facebook so far. Click here to view the video on Facebook and click here to view it on YouTube.
- Fly-tipping incidents
Old carpets and flooring were the latest things to be fly-tipped recently in Pendeford Hall Lane in Codsall. Click here to see more and if you have any information please contact our Planning Enforcement team on 01902 696000. This week, Baggeridge Country Park also experienced fly-tipping and a load of tools were dumped there. The tools are safe with the park ranger and if you believe they could be yours, please contact 101. Click here to view.
- Telephone lines information
Today, the Council will be closing its telephone lines early at 4.30pm to enable necessary updates to be carried out to the system. The face-to-face desk at the Council Offices in Codsall will remain open until 5pm and our web chat services will be extended until 5pm. Telephone lines will re-open at 8.30am on Monday 17 December 2018.
- Community safety update
Staffordshire Police has received several reports across the county of purse thefts over the Christmas shopping period. Remember:
- It’s easy for pick-pockets and shoplifters to conceal themselves amongst the crowds in shopping areas at this busy time of year.
- Often working in pairs or groups, pickpockets will use various ways to lift your purse or wallet out of your pocket or bag.
- One can purposely bump into you, or sometimes distract you while another will adeptly help themselves to your money and cards. You won’t feel them stealing from you.
- Don’t put your money or wallet in a back pocket. Carry your bag close to you and so it opens facing you, keep a hand on it.
- Don’t leave bags on a shopping trolley, wheelchair, motorised scooter, or pushchairs.
- Fourth wedding for the Ceremonial Suite
The Ceremonial Suite at the Council Offices in Codsall hosted its fourth wedding last Saturday. The happy couple were thrilled with the venue and support given on the day. Well done and thank you to Karen Riley and the team. A lot of work goes on behind the scenes to make these days very special for our couples.
- Christmas closing times
The Council Offices will close at 12.30pm on Monday 24 December 2018.
- VCSE Locality Forum – Volunteer Star Awards
On Wednesday 5 December 2018, the awards presentation took place for the 2018 Volunteer Star Awards. Congratulations to all the winners.
- Emma Churchill, Business Contribution to Volunteering Award.
- Brewood Community Managed Library, Community Impact Award.
- Ellie Hickman, Volunteer of the Year Award.
- William “Bill” Hill, Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Jeanette Griffiths, Volunteer in Self Development.
- David Millington, Volunteering Support by a team or individual working primarily with the over 65s.
- Keri Lloyd, Volunteering Support for young people by a team of individuals.
- David Norman, Volunteering Through Adversity Award.
- UK Youth Parliament
Applications are now open for the 2019 Youth Parliament Elections in Staffordshire. The UK Youth Parliament provides opportunities for 11-18 year olds to encourage young people in their local area to make a difference on issues that matter to them. Four young people will be elected to represent Staffordshire at a national level and they will be in their role for one year, until February 2020. Applications close on Monday 7 January 2019.
For more information, please click here
- Lottery’s festive super draw
Buy a lottery ticket for the South Staffordshire Community Lottery and as well as the chance to win a £25,000 jackpot you could win six 50% off tickets to see the Sleeping Beauty pantomime at Wolverhampton Grand Theatre. Play today at www.southstaffslottery.co.uk or call 01902 213777 to find out more.
- Home alone at Christmas
The annual Christmas lunch for retired residents of the district takes place on Friday 21 December 2018 from midday to 2.30pm in the Academy Restaurant at the Council Offices in Codsall. The lunch is free for pensioners over the age of 60 who don’t have friends or family visiting them on Christmas Day. Numbers are limited to 50 people so early application is recommended. Click here for more information.
- Coming soon – Big Energy Saving Week (21 to 28 January 2019)
The New Year is when high winter energy bills start coming in and our Good Life Energy team is here to help residents and business check they are getting the best price for their energy and make them aware of any savings they can make. We would love Parish Councils and partners to support us by hosting our Energy Surgeries during Big Energy Saving Week, a national campaign taking place in January that encourages residents and local businesses to ‘Check, Switch, Save’.
If you can host an energy bill surgery for residents or would like a no cost one-to-one energy review for your Parish or community buildings, please email the Good Life Energy team now. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org to book a preferred location, date and time between Monday 21 January and Friday 25 January 2019.
Many residents and local businesses have already saved hundreds of pounds on their energy bills and have seen the benefits and been quick to praise the initiative. Local MP the Rt. Hon. Gavin Williamson CBE gave his wholehearted support to the Good Life Energy Bill scheme earlier this year – read more at www.sstaffs.gov.uk/energy
- Committee/Panel meetings
Next week, the following public meeting is scheduled:
- Planning Committee – Tuesday 18 December 2018 – 6.30pm – Council Chamber
- 5 Rating
The following organisation has achieved a 5 Rating following its food inspection this week – The Fox at Shipley
Everyone is encouraged to submit news items, please email: email@example.com