Last week’s news from South Staffordshire Council.
- Prosecution success for Council
A local dog boarding kennels in Blymhill near Shifnal has been successfully prosecuted by South Staffordshire Council after it was found to be in breach of the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963 during an inspection. Click here to read more.
- Appeal for information about recent fly-tip
A recent fly-tip of asbestos in Moor Hall Lane in Penkridge is going to cost the taxpayer in the region of £900 to collect and dispose of. Click here to see some pics and if you have any information, please contact the Council on Facebook or call 01902 696000.
- 2020 Support Staffordshire Volunteer Star Awards
Nominations for this year’s Volunteer Star Awards are now live. These awards celebrate the contribution that volunteers make to our local community and you can find out more on the Support Staffordshire website – click here for more information. Nominations close on Friday 3 April 2020 (5pm) and the results will be announced at a ceremony at Rodbaston Hall in Penkridge on Tuesday 23 June 2020. Any queries, please contact Maggie Quinn (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Coronavirus update
Click here for the latest information on the Public Health England Blog.
- South Staffordshire business survey and roundtable events
If you’re a local business, make sure you complete the south Staffordshire business survey. The Council is committed to creating the right conditions for economic growth across the district and supporting local businesses and your thoughts and opinions are key. Click here to take part in the survey, which closes on Sunday 23 February 2020 (5pm). This piece of research will be instrumental in informing South Staffordshire Council’s future strategic plans.
To accompany this, Staffordshire Chambers of Commerce are hosting a series of small business roundtable events on behalf of South Staffordshire Council.
- Click here to find out more and to book a place at the business roundtable being held on Tuesday 11 February 2020 at Essington Farm from 10am to noon.
- Click here to find out more and to book a place at the business roundtable being held on Friday 28 February 2020 at the Council Offices in Codsall from 10am to noon.
- Breast screening mobile unit
At this week’s Wellbeing Select Committee, the local NHS screening team attended the meeting to update Members on the result of the screening unit being based at the Council Offices. The results were very positive with a 7% increase in screening take up which equates to a full weeks screening on a mobile unit. Previously, the mobile screening unit had been located at Codsall Clinic but it was withdrawn 10 years ago, with residents having to either travel into Wombourne or New Cross Hospital to access screening appointments. Through local campaigning and support from the Council, the unit became based at the Council Offices and this has made a significant difference and increased take-up rates across the four local GP practices, with all practices now above the national take-up rate of 70.5% This shows the benefit of services being based locally and accessible to our residents and as part of the Community Hub work, we will welcome the screening unit back in three years’ time and hopefully see further increases in the take-up rates.
- Tree-mendous effort South Staffordshire!
A total of 1,300 Christmas trees were collected at the kerbside in January. That three times more trees than last year and all the trees were composted at a local facility.
- First signs of Spring are here
Click here to see some pics of the snowdrops out now in Whites Wood at Baggeridge Country Park. For daily news and updates about the country park, sign up to its Facebook page and its @Baggeridge Twitter account.
- Next week’s Council Committee and Panel meetings
- Your Council Challenge Panel – Monday 10 February 2020 – 4pm – Bill Brownhill Room
- Your Place Challenge Panel – Monday 10 February 2020 – 4pm – Members’ Room (bar side).
- Audit and Risk Committee – Tuesday 11 February 2020 – 4pm – Bill Brownhill Room.
- Local Plans Member Seminar – Thursday 13 February 2020 – 5.30pm – Members’ Room.
- Job vacancies
- Partner vacancy opportunity – Brewood and Coven Parish Assistant Clerk – click here for more information.
Closing date – Friday 14 February 2020.
- 5 Rating
The following organisations have achieved a 5 Rating following their food inspection this week – Maypole Café in Wombourne, The New Talbot in Cheslyn Hay, St John’s Primary School in Swindon, Cakes by Max of Wheaton Aston, Three Hammers Bar and Bistro in Coven, Sandiacre Farm Shop and Nurseries, St Anthony’s in Wolverhampton, Windmill Bakery in Wombourne, and Jethro’s Marinades in Huntington.
- South Staffordshire Connect service now available
The South Staffordshire Connect dial-a-ride bus service is now available.
This local, bookable bus service is once again helping many people
who struggle to get out and about and it is aimed at residents who live
away from regular bus routes or who find it difficult to use a standard
bus. The new Connect service operates between 10am and 3pm to
three zones. For more information, please click on the following for
- Together we win!
Good causes in South Staffordshire need your support and one way you can help is by buying a lottery ticket in our weekly Community Lottery. As well as supporting a good cause you might even win a cash prize ranging from £25 up to a jackpot of £25,000. To buy a lottery ticket, simply register on the website (www.southstaffslottery.co.uk) or telephone 01902 213777.
Everyone is encouraged to submit news items, please email: email@example.com